Our church started on March 27, 1977, and initially met in Elderton. Later in 1977 we began meeting in the original part of the building we are in now. We became incorporated in October of 1977 officially being named Grace Independent Baptist Church of Shelocta. In 1980, we acquired the building we were meeting in that was built in 1873.
It was built as a Methodist Episcopal Church at a cost of $2,600. In 1913 it was turned into a granary. In 1969 it was sold to a man who used it periodically as an auction house. When we bought it in 1980 for $43,000, it was a small building that seated probably 100 and had two Sunday School classrooms, a nursery, and a fellowship hall. Over the years, additions were put in, and modifications were made. Our auditorium currently seats a comfortable 200 people. We have much more space and have several classrooms, a nursery, a kitchen, a fellowship hall, and so much more. We are so thankful for how God has blessed us.
….More history to follow…
We hope that you will visit us and feel at home.